Recipe Type: Side Dish
I have so many patients that say rice is such a huge part of their culture or just an easy go to side that there’s no way they can cut it out. This is a great substitute for a starchy rice-like side dish without the guilt and carbs!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (you can add more if you like a bit more heat)
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken stock(I make this once a week and store it in mason jars in the refrigerator)
- 1 head cauliflower, “riced”*
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and swirl to coat. Add onion, then cook until the onion is just turning soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, until tomatoes have softened and start to release their moisture. Add tomato paste, salt, cumin, garlic, chili powder and jalapeño to the pan, stirring until hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until incorporated and cauliflower just begins to turn soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.
- *To rice cauliflower: Cut cauliflower into bite-size pieces and place half of the pieces in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 12-15 times until cauliflower is the size of rice. Repeat. As an alternative, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or chop finely with a large chef’s knife.