Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
These chicken enchiladas are SUPER simple, cheap, and great for feeding the multitudes or just a small family. One recipe can make between 20-24 enchiladas so they are wonderful for freezing and pulling out later on a night when time is limited or you just don’t feel like cooking 🙂 I definitely have those nights!! They have been a hit at “potlucks” we have done at church and with friends, and are my “go to” meal when taking dinner to folks who have recently had a life event such as surgery or a new baby and don’t have the time or abilty to be on their feet cooking. New moms oftern worry about spicy foods if they are breastfeeding, but these enchiladas are not spicy at all, yet folks can feel free to add additional seasoning if they desire. Every time I make them for friends, I double the recipe and make some for my family and put the leftovers in the freezer. We have a freezer full as we speak!! They are wonderful served over a bed of lettuce and topped with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and maybe even a little queso. We like to “build our own” here at the Fowler household and get creative with the “toppings”!
- 1 rotisserie chicken (feel free to cook your own chicken, but this is GREAT for a night when time is limited!!)
- 1 bag of shredded cheese
- 16 oz of sourcream
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- low carb tortillas (any flavor or brand as long as they are low carb) 2-3 packs
- Pull chicken off rotisserie and shred
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl (chicken, cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup)
- Spoon mix evenly onto low carb wraps (avoid putting too much mix in wraps because they will over flow and spill out of the tortilla into the oven- still yummy to spoon out of the baking dish though :)) I typically get approx 20-24 enchiladas. I spread the mix in a straight line on the far left side of the wrap so it is easy to keep all ingredients inside as I roll them up before baking. If choosing larger tortillas you may get 10-12, just depends on how full you want them!
- Place wraps in a 13×9 dish
- Bake 25-30 minutes on 350, last 5 minutes sprinkle cheese on top
- May freeze leftovers and reheat OR freeze before cooking (you do not have to cook them before freezing so this is something you could prepare in advance)
My favorite low carb wraps are the Ole’ Extreme Wellness Wraps and they can be found at almost ANY local grocery store typically in the taco section or ethnic isle. However, if you are avoiding ALL wheat including low carb products, you can take the enchilada mix and spread in a greased 13×9 pan, top with cheese and bake as a casserole. Super yummy! These enchiladas are a GREAT hit in our family, EVEN with those that are NOT health conscious! They have no idea they are getting a low carb dish, yet they love every bite! Don’t forget to add your favorite low carb toppings such as sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. And by serving over a bed of lettuce you add bulk and fiber to your meal! Also a great way to get our mexican food kick without the added carbs from flour tortillas, rice, and chips. What are your favorite mexican dishes? What creative ways have you been able to make them healthier? Please share below, I love new ideas!! More recipes to come using these low carb wraps including ways to make homemade chips and appetizers! Feel free to use any low carb wrap you desire, but make sure it is low carb, check the label and don’t choose one above 5-7 net carbs (total carbs- fiber= net carbs)