Recipe Review: Stuffed Green Peppers
Recipe credit: www.tasteofhome.com (with slight modification) Stats: Prep time- 10 mins, Cook time- 55 mins, Yield- 4 servings
- 4 green peppers
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes (peeled & chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 celery ribs (diced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8oz) of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or you could do sausage, ground turkey, shredded chicken)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, onions, celery, tomato sauce, water, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 10-15 mins. Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers & remove seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef & basil. In a large skillet, saute beef until browned. Dran off excess fat & then Combine with above tomato mixture. Fill peppers with beef & tomato mixture.
- Place peppers open side up in a medium baking dish. Bake covered for 25-35 mins. Sprinkle cheese on top & then bake another 10-15 mins (until heated through & cheese is melted & bubbly.)
Review: This recipe was simple & delicious. I am into recipes that add variety to the weekly routine, but also utilize COMMON ingredients! This recipe has been a HIT every time I have made it. It is also reasonable & a recipe that you can modify to fit what you have in your pantry/ fridge. Meat can be of various sorts, as well as the vegetables/ seasonings you use! (For example, if you prefer garlic– use instead of basil.) I would highly recommend this recipe for its speed, simplicity & pure deliciousness. Happy cooking!