Hello and Happy Summer! With Memorial Day coming up this weekend, I figured it would be worth talking about some GREAT options for grilling out that are also great choices that won’t break the bank if you are trying to watch your carbs…
– Burgers or Hot Dogs wrapped in lettuce wraps are always a great option. Also, Healthy Life, make a low carb bun that is a great option as well.
– Any other kind of meat: steaks, porkchops, BBQ, shrimp, etc. on the grill is a GREAT choice
Here are a few “twists” on classic side dishes for Back yard BBQs
12 eggs, hard boiled
1/3 cup regular mayonnaise
2 T prepared mustard (yellow or brown)
1/4 cup sugar-free sweet pickle relish
A few drops of hot sauce
Salt (about 1/4 teaspoon, or to taste)
Pepper to taste
2 T chopped chives (not totally necessary, but good)
Paprika, sweet, hot, or smoked, depending on your taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp Stevia/Truvia
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp paprika
¼ tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt
1lb shredded cabbage
INSTRUCTIONS: Mix all dressing ingredients together & then mix in cabbage. Balance the lemon juice & sweetener to your own taste
SPICY SWEET POTATO CHIPS
- 2 sweet potatoes (washed & dried)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut potatoes in ¼ inch thick slices.
- In large bowl, add oil & seasoning and then toss potato slices to coat.
- Place single layer on baking sheets & bake until lightly browned & crisp on both sides.
Veggies and Dips are always a great “go-to” as are big salads with creamy dressings like Ranch or Bleu Cheese.
Fruit this time of year is wonderful–strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries topped with whipped cream and a few almonds are a great end to a great meal!
HAPPY GRILLING. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! HAPPY LOW-CARBING!
Have a wonderful weekend!